Grow Your Own Leafy Greens and save money

Welcome to Agriculture Academy, where we show you how to start a profitable business in Agriculture.

Leafy greens are one of the most wasted foodstuffs in the world. For example, in South Africa it is reported that only 26% of all the spinach that is grown gets consumed. That leaves a whopping 74% of all the spinach grown in the country destined for rubbish bins and landfills. Not only is this a monumental waste of food, but of the resources required to grow the crop as well. This is especially problematic in countries like South Africa, where most crops require supplemental irrigation in the dry climate.

Information like this should make us all consider how we can become more sustainable consumers. By taking the wastage statistics of leafy greens into account, we can potentially help solve this problem by growing our own. By doing this, not only can we play a small role in decreasing food waste, but we can potentially save some money in the process. With that in mind, here is our list on 10 leafy greens you can grow in your garden.

Free E-Book: 5 Steps to start a Profitable Plant Nursery


🛒 Thank you for watching, we appreciate your support very much! If you liked what you saw in this video, check out our list of favourite items below. We may receive a small commission when you buy from these affiliate links which helps us continue to create informative videos.

🌱 Seed trays:
🌱 Secateurs:
🌱 Perlite:
🌱 Rooting hormone:
🌱 Spray bottles:
🌱 The Plant Propagators ‘Bible’:
🌱 Coir:
🌱 Vermiculite:
🌱 Watering nozzle attachment for bottles:

Resources we use:
Links in the description might be affiliate links and if you purchase a service, we may receive a commission.
New zenler:


This presentation contains images that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click here to see the full list of images and attributions:

All stock footage, audio and other non-original materials used in this video were done so with the use of royalty-free license agreements. This includes, but is not limited to, Camtasia, StoryBlocks, and Artlist.


Le Roux B, Van der Laan M, Vahremijer JT, Annandale JG, Bristow KL. 2018. Water footprints of vegetable crop wastage along the supply chain in Gauteng , South Africa. Water 10, 539

World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). Food Loss and Waste: Facts and Futures; WWF: Cape Town, South Africa, 2017. Available online:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *